National Bank selected for the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index
National Bank announces that it has been selected for the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index (GEI) among a global pool of organizations headquartered across 36 countries and regions. The Index distinguishes companies committed to transparency in gender reporting and advancing women’s equality.
"We’re committed to continuing our efforts to create an inclusive workplace that allows women to achieve their full potential,” said Brigitte Hébert, Executive Vice-President – Employee Experience and Operations at National Bank. “Embracing inclusion and advancing gender equality is not only a desirable social outcome, but one of the soundest business decisions that organizations can make. We’re thrilled to be included in this year’s Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index. It gives us insight and perspective on our achievements, how we’re advancing on gender equality, and ways forward.”
"We applaud National Bank for their action to measure gender equality through the Bloomberg GEI framework,” said Peter T. Grauer, Chairman of Bloomberg and Founding Chairman of the U.S. 30% Club. “National Bank’s GEI inclusion is a strong indicator to its employees, investors and industry peers alike that it is leading by example to advance ongoing efforts for a truly inclusive workplace.”
Here is a wide-ranging look at the initiatives showing how National Bank is moving the needle toward a more equitable workplace and community:
- Women in wealth management: National Bank Financial (NBF) adopts a comprehensive woman-centric approach designed to serve and engage with women investors and finance professionals alike. This includes the Young Women’s Mentorship Program, which promotes the advisor profession among female students in Canadian universities. This program gives them the chance to discover the profession with annual internship opportunities. Also, NBF hosts the annual Women Symposium, a conference that brings NBF women advisors together from coast to coast to discuss industry leading practices. The Symposium is celebrating its 10th anniversary this year.
- Women in capital markets: National Bank Financial Markets offers annual bursaries to female finance students combined with mentorship. Also, thanks to its institutional rotation program, selected female students are given a full-time job opportunity with a permanent position guaranteed after seven months. Participants get the chance to explore various roles during this period to gain a well-rounded perspective on a career in finance.
- Women in Artificial Intelligence (AI): Women are strongly represented across emerging professions and scientist roles at National Bank. They outnumber men in the team of AI scientists and the group that oversees AI, data analytics, venture capital and blockchain has achieved gender parity in senior management positions.
- Mainstreaming gender equality through inclusive community engagement: The Bank has longstanding partnerships with the Association of Quebec Women in Finance, Women in Capital Markets, Catalyst, a non-profit that helps advance women in the workplace and L’effet A, an organization that propels female professional engagement.
- An inclusive work culture strongly and consistently endorsed by employees: During the past four years, National Bank has garnered top scores with regards to employee appreciation of inclusion, including female workplace advancement. During this period, between 91% and 95% of employees have favourably evaluated the Bank as an empowering work environment on the basis of diversity and inclusiveness.
About National Bank of Canada
With $262 billion in assets as at October 31, 2018, National Bank of Canada, together with its subsidiaries, forms one of Canada's leading integrated financial groups. It has more than 23,000 employees in knowledge-intensive positions and has been recognized numerous times as a top employer and for its commitment to diversity. Its securities are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX: NA). Follow the Bank’s activities at nbc.ca or via social media such as Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.
Bloomberg, the global business and financial information and news leader, gives influential decision makers a critical edge by connecting them to a dynamic network of information, people and ideas. The company’s strength – delivering data, news and analytics through innovative technology, quickly and accurately – is at the core of the Bloomberg Terminal. Bloomberg’s enterprise solutions build on the company’s core strength: leveraging technology to allow customers to access, integrate, distribute and manage data and information across organizations more efficiently and effectively. For more information, visit www.bloomberg.com or request a demo.
|Senior Manager, Public Affairs and
Corporate Social Responsibility
|National Bank of Canada|
|Tel. : 514-394-4209|