National Bank presents its 2011 social responsibility report
National Bank is proud to present its 2011 social responsibility report which provides an overview of its commitment to its clients, employees, the community and the environment.
The highlights for 2011 include a series of investments that helped create economic and social value for the communities where the Bank is present. Here are a few examples:
- Nearly $49 billion in debt financing was authorized for tens of thousands of Canadian businesses. These loans contributed directly to the growth and development of organizations located both in Quebec and in most Canadian provinces.
- More than $1.6 billion was paid in salaries and employee benefits to some 19,000 employees of the Bank as part of a competitive total compensation program.
- $34 million was devoted to upgrading tens of branches.
- $8 million over 10 years to the Fondation du Centre hospitalier de l’Université de Montréal and the McGill University Health Centre Foundation: the largest donation in the Bank’s history.
- $8.2 million was donated to organizations throughout the country. Children’s Aid Foundation, McGill University’s Desautels Faculty of Management, Mount Sinai Hospital (Toronto), Fondation Tel-jeunes and Mount Royal University (Alberta) were just some of the organizations that benefited from a major donation.
- Over $3.1 million was donated to United Way/Centraide. This amount was raised as a result of the huge effort made by our employees and retired employees during a vast Canada-wide campaign, to which a corporate donation was added.
- Nearly $520,000 was collected for the Breakfast Clubs of Canada and the Club des petits déjeuners du Québec (Quebec Breakfast Club). For the seventh straight year, fundraising campaigns were organized which were based on the sale of an exclusive article in branches.
National Bank also stood out for its actions towards reducing the impact of its practices on the environment. In 2011, the Bank achieved net zero carbon emissions thanks to an innovative agreement with the Sobeys supermarket chain, under the IGA banner in Quebec. Moreover, National Bank obtained the LEED-CI Silver certification for the interior design of its Lachine branch in Montreal.
For more information on the many causes and projects National Bank supports as part of its commitment to the communities it serves, please consult our social responsibility report. It is available on our website at www.nbc.ca/socialresponsibility, on our social commitment website at www.commitment.nationalbank.ca, in our branches and via our TelNat customer service centre at 1-888-4-TelNat.
About National Bank of Canada
National Bank of Canada is an integrated group that provides comprehensive financial services to consumers, small and medium-sized enterprises and large corporations in its core market, while offering specialized services to its clients elsewhere in the world. National Bank offers a full array of banking services, including retail, corporate and investment banking. It is an active player on international capital markets and, through its subsidiaries, is involved in securities brokerage, insurance and wealth management as well as mutual fund and retirement plan management. As at January 31, 2012, National Bank has over CDN$175 billion in assets in accordance with IFRS and, together with its subsidiaries, employs 19,785 people. The Bank’s securities are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX: NA). For more information, visit the Bank’s website at www.nbc.ca. To access National Bank of Canada’s financial literacy portal, visit www.clearfacts.ca.
Information (The telephone number provided below is for the exclusive use of journalists and other media representatives.):
Senior Advisor – Public Affairs