If you are interested in financial markets and the economy, you are in the right place! Whether you want to know the latest national and international developments or consult the most recent economic and financial forecasts, all you have to do is select the type of analysis of interest to you from our prize-winning Economics and Strategy Group.
This monitor provides daily updates on the evolution of COVID-19 in selected countries using data available as of 8:00am EDT. We also compare the transmission of COVID-19 with that of other pandemics and offer an update of our financial conditions index for Canada.
The policy update, for its part, offers an overview of the monetary and fiscal measures implemented by central banks and governments around the world to mitigate the economic effects of the virus.
The Weekly Economic Watch offers a commentary on developments in the economic environment as depicted by economic indicators released during the week and on indicators to be published in the upcoming week. Trends in a wide range of international, national and provincial economic and financial indicators are also presented.
Each month, the World economic outlook, in particular the North-American context, is reassessed. It also includes forecasts for the major economic and financial variables.
- U.S.: Will savings save the day?
- World: What’s behind the surging price of gold?
- U.S.: Is the economic recovery losing steam?
- Canada: Is CERB hobbling the recovery?
- U.S.: Personal income surges despite recession!
- Canada: A decline for the record books
- World: Pandemic still not under control in emerging markets
- U.S.: Will surge in money supply fuel inflation?
- Canada: Currency depreciation helps cushion blow on NIIP
- U.S.: Largest decline ever recorded for core inflation
- U.S.: Labour market recovery has started
An analysis on a current economic or financial topic.
- (2020/07/24) Canadian Labour Market: Devils in the details
- (2020/06/29) Is a second lockdown inevitable?
- (2020/06/01) Canada’s official reserves: Time for a review
- (2020/05/27) Is Canadian residential real estate teetering on the brink?
- How brain gain sustains the Canadian housing market
- Quebec should resist the temptation of procyclical budgeting
- Fixed Income: The ECB contemplates further monetary policy easing
- New NBF Financial Stress Index does not suggest BoC rate cut
- Presentation to the Canadian Economic Club – January 9, 2019
- Fixed Income: Stock-bond correlations: Are we at an inflection point?
- Strategy update: Trade war = slower earnings growth
- U.S. tech is the big winner of the China-India border dispute
- Cracks are emerging in the global food supply chain
- COVID-19 continues to fracture the geopolitical landscape
- How COVID-19 is widening the Eurozone’s fault lines
- How COVID-19 is reshaping America’s landscape
- How COVID-19 is reshaping great power rivalry and supply chains
- The Russian-Saudi oil standoff: Who will blink first?
- Storm clouds gathering on Germany’s horizon
- The political challenges of implementing environmental regulations
- U.S.-China phase one trade deal signed: Now comes the hard part
- Market View: Jobs recovery: It’s advantage Canada
- Market View: Enter the dog days of summer
- Market View: Pump up the [Canadian bond market] volume
- Market View: The award for best employment performance goes to…
- Market View: Reflecting on Canada’s Debt Management Strategy
- Market View: Ratings round-up: Where do things stand?
- Market View: Quantifying the central bank impact on credit spreads
- Market View: A flood of GoC bonds coming? Not necessarily
- Market View: What’s a domestic investor got to do to get a bond?
- Market View: Does diversification matter in provi bond markets?