If you are interested in financial markets and the economy, you are in the right place! Whether you want to know the latest national and international developments or consult the most recent economic and financial forecasts, all you have to do is select the type of analysis of interest to you from our prize-winning Economics and Strategy Group.
The Weekly Economic Watch offers a commentary on developments in the economic environment as depicted by economic indicators released during the week and on indicators to be published in the upcoming week. Trends in a wide range of international, national and provincial economic and financial indicators are also presented.
Each month, the World economic outlook, in particular the North-American context, is reassessed. It also includes forecasts for the major economic and financial variables.
- Canada: Corporate profits climb to all-time high, but factories struggle
- Canada: A good year for tourism
- Canada: Adding fuel to the housing market
- U.S.: Does record household debt threaten financial stability?
- U.S.: Prime age participation rate climbs further
- World: Has dollar strength hurt investment in emerging markets?
- World: Persistent trade imbalances suggest U.S. protectionism here to stay
- U.S.: 2019 GDP growth driven again by domestic demand
- U.S.: Could the budget deficit hit double digits?
An analysis on a current economic or financial topic.
- How brain gain sustains the Canadian housing market
- Quebec should resist the temptation of procyclical budgeting
- Fixed Income: The ECB contemplates further monetary policy easing
- New NBF Financial Stress Index does not suggest BoC rate cut
- Presentation to the Canadian Economic Club – January 9, 2019
- Fixed Income: Stock-bond correlations: Are we at an inflection point?
- Strategy update: Trade war = slower earnings growth
- Reality check: Are Canadian households perched over a sinkhole?
- Reality check: Canadian exposure to U.S. protectionism
- The political challenges of implementing environmental regulations
- U.S.-China phase one trade deal signed: Now comes the hard part
- Iran – U.S.: Has war been averted?
- The world’s looming water crisis
- Expect more financial decoupling between China and the United States
- USMCA ratification may be closer than you think
- Trump’s seemingly never-ending impeachment saga
- The story behind China’s capital controls
- Japan and South Korea risk scrambling supply chains further
- Will Iran and the United States step back from the brink?
- Market View: A closer look at the City of Toronto’s 2020 budget
- Market View: Bill Morneau: Canada’s $3 trillion man
- Market View: Are Freaky Fridays a thing?
- Market View: Mortgage hedging: What a difference a year makes
- Market View: MFA as SSA?
- Market View: Central banking between a rock and a hard place
- Market View: Québec - Perfecting the art of pre-financing
- Market View: March 1st GoC Index effect… harder & harder to ignore
- Market View: Bumper GoC bond crop & debt strategy thoughts
- Market View: Trudeau's labour market scorecard