If you are interested in financial markets and the economy, you are in the right place! Whether you want to know the latest national and international developments or consult the most recent economic and financial forecasts, all you have to do is select the type of analysis of interest to you from our prize-winning Economics and Strategy Group.
The Weekly Economic Watch offers a commentary on developments in the economic environment as depicted by economic indicators released during the week and on indicators to be published in the upcoming week. Trends in a wide range of international, national and provincial economic and financial indicators are also presented.
Each month, the World economic outlook, in particular the North-American context, is reassessed. It also includes forecasts for the major economic and financial variables.
- Canada: Silver lining to deteriorating U.S.-China trade relations
- U.S.: Household debt hits new record
- Canada: Lack of diversification hurting exporters
- Canada: No interest-payment shock for homeowners in 2019
- U.S.: How will the new tariffs affect inflation?
- U.S.: How effective are tariffs in reducing the trade deficit?
- U.S.: Diverging views of the labour market
- U.S.: Why is inflation so low?
- World: Worst decline in trade volumes since the 2008-09 recession
- U.S.: Was Q1 GDP really all that strong?
An analysis on a current economic or financial topic.
- New NBF Financial Stress Index does not suggest BoC rate cut
- Presentation to the Canadian Economic Club – January 9, 2019
- Fixed Income: Stock-bond correlations: Are we at an inflection point?
- Strategy update: Trade war = slower earnings growth
- Reality check: Are Canadian households perched over a sinkhole?
- Reality check: Canadian exposure to U.S. protectionism
- The Metropolitan Economic Momentum Index (MEMI)
- Argentina’s looming make-or-break election
- The perils and promise of India
- President Obrador’s politics cool Mexico’s economy
- The behind the scenes struggle to choose the ECB's next leader
- What’s next in the seemingly never-ending Brexit Saga?
- Geopolitics are pushing oil prices higher
- China-U.S. trade deal or not, tensions will remain
- Are the wheels falling off the Trump presidency?
- What is driving the yellow vest revolt in France?
- Euro zone uncertainty spreads to its core
- Quick Hit: All eyes on the index
- Quick Hit: NOK: Outperforming and with more room to gain
- Quick Hit: Pensions' last ode to the outgoing fiscal year
- Quick Hit: Money market leads net divestment in Canada securities
- Quick Hit: The obligatory look at June 1st cash
- Quick Hit: Can the peso continue to gain ground?
- Quick Hit: Financial market electioneering in Canada?
- Quick Hit: Commodity pairs and the role of central banks