If you are interested in financial markets and the economy, you are in the right place! Whether you want to know the latest national and international developments or consult the most recent economic and financial forecasts, all you have to do is select the type of analysis of interest to you from our prize-winning Economics and Strategy Group.
The Weekly Economic Watch offers a commentary on developments in the economic environment as depicted by economic indicators released during the week and on indicators to be published in the upcoming week. Trends in a wide range of international, national and provincial economic and financial indicators are also presented.
Each month, the World economic outlook, in particular the North-American context, is reassessed. It also includes forecasts for the major economic and financial variables.
- Canada: Just how much slack is there?
- Canada: Could revised data convince Bank of Canada to ditch hawkish tone?
- U.S.: Why is inflation not taking off?
- World: Can China do more to avoid a trade war?
- Currencies: Loonie driven by more than just oil and interest rate spreads
- Canada: Corporate profits hit new record
- Commodities: What’s up with oil?
- U.S.: How vulnerable is the housing market?
- Canada: Wealth effect is eroding
- Canada: Have tighter mortgage regulations worked?
An analysis on a current economic or financial topic.
- Fixed Income: Stock-bond correlations: Are we at an inflection point?
- Strategy update: Trade war = slower earnings growth
- Reality check: Are Canadian households perched over a sinkhole?
- Reality check: Canadian exposure to U.S. protectionism
- The Metropolitan Economic Momentum Index (MEMI)
- Is Canada’s household leverage too high — or on the low side?
- Euro zone uncertainty spreads to its core
- China-U.S. rivalry equals a reconfigured global supply chain
- Venezuela’s collapse: How far will oil production fall?
- America’s High-Stake Midterm Elections
- Can Russia live up to its geopolitical ambitions?
- Will Iran’s mounting troubles raise oil prices?
- Quick Hit: A near-4 std dev move in provi bonds… violent in the extreme
- Quick Hit: T+3 reflections on Alberta’s mandated oil production cut
- Quick Hit: Just what is Québec doing with its Generations Fund cash?
- Quick Hit: The tortoise (provincial credit) and the hare (US IG)
- Quick Hit: An update on YTD public sector bond supply
- Quick Hit: Canadian outlook more uncertain than meets the eye
- Quick Hit: Credit smorgasbord: Taking the pulse at current markets
- Quick Hit: Real return bonds in a digital world
- Quick Hit: Ottawa’s fiscal update in 8 charts
- Quick Hit: A fully hedged evaluation of our Canadian rates on offer