If you are interested in financial markets and the economy, you are in the right place! Whether you want to know the latest national and international developments or consult the most recent economic and financial forecasts, all you have to do is select the type of analysis of interest to you from our prize-winning Economics and Strategy Group.
The Weekly Economic Watch offers a commentary on developments in the economic environment as depicted by economic indicators released during the week and on indicators to be published in the upcoming week. Trends in a wide range of international, national and provincial economic and financial indicators are also presented.
Each month, the World economic outlook, in particular the North-American context, is reassessed. It also includes forecasts for the major economic and financial variables.
- U.S.: Labour market shows no signs of folding
- U.S.: Why is the gap growing between the two core measures of inflation?
- U.S.: Does investment dive point to imminent recession?
- Currencies: Can the U.S. dollar bounce back against emerging market currencies?
- World: Does Q3 trade stabilization signal turning point for global economy?
- U.S.: Are better health outcomes boosting prime-age participation?
- Canada: Business hiring intentions sink to three-year low
- Canada: Another slip down the competitiveness rankings
- U.S.: Employment indicator pointing to continued economic expansion
- U.S.: Does ISM manufacturing slump suggest recession is coming?
An analysis on a current economic or financial topic.
- Quebec should resist the temptation of procyclical budgeting
- Fixed Income: The ECB contemplates further monetary policy easing
- New NBF Financial Stress Index does not suggest BoC rate cut
- Presentation to the Canadian Economic Club – January 9, 2019
- Fixed Income: Stock-bond correlations: Are we at an inflection point?
- Strategy update: Trade war = slower earnings growth
- Reality check: Are Canadian households perched over a sinkhole?
- Reality check: Canadian exposure to U.S. protectionism
- Expect more financial decoupling between China and the United States
- USMCA ratification may be closer than you think
- Trump’s seemingly never-ending impeachment saga
- The story behind China’s capital controls
- Japan and South Korea risk scrambling supply chains further
- Will Iran and the United States step back from the brink?
- U.S.-China truce: a pause in the great power competition
- What is next for Brexit and the UK?
- Is Great Power Rivalry Reshaping Canada’s Economic Landscape?
- Argentina’s looming make-or-break election
- Quick Hit: Trudeau's labour market scorecard
- Quick Hit: A reminder of the (obvious) importance of foreign markets
- Quick Hit: Funding update as we cross mid-field of fiscal year
- Quick Hit: It’s Ottawa’s red ink we should focus on [but not in the way you might think]
- Quick Hit: Lower yes, but steeper? Not really
- Quick Hit: Higher oil to lead to stronger loonie?
- Quick Hit: Foreigners continue net divestment of Canadian securities
- Quick Hit: Bank of Canada: What’s in a word?
- Quick Hit: Headline numbers can be deceiving
- Quick Hit: Are low interest rates the gift that keeps on giving?