If you are interested in financial markets and the economy, you are in the right place! Whether you want to know the latest national and international developments or consult the most recent economic and financial forecasts, all you have to do is select the type of analysis of interest to you from our prize-winning Economics and Strategy Group.
This monitor provides daily updates on the evolution of COVID-19 in selected countries using data available as of 8:00am EDT. We also compare the transmission of COVID-19 with that of other pandemics and offer an update of our financial conditions index for Canada.
The policy update, for its part, offers an overview of the monetary and fiscal measures implemented by central banks and governments around the world to mitigate the economic effects of the virus.
The Weekly Economic Watch offers a commentary on developments in the economic environment as depicted by economic indicators released during the week and on indicators to be published in the upcoming week. Trends in a wide range of international, national and provincial economic and financial indicators are also presented.
Each month, the World economic outlook, in particular the North-American context, is reassessed. It also includes forecasts for the major economic and financial variables.
- U.S.: Coronavirus wrecks labour market
- World: Why is coronavirus wreaking so much havoc?
- World: Dollar surge threatens global financial stability
- U.S.: Who’s exposed to corporate bonds?
- Canada: Just how many jobs are lost during recessions?
- U.S.: Factory collapse in March
- Canada: Historical perspective on financial stress
- U.S.: Another leading indicator flashes red
- Canada: Private business plans to increase capital spending
- Canada: Corporate profits climb to all-time high, but factories struggle
An analysis on a current economic or financial topic.
- How brain gain sustains the Canadian housing market
- Quebec should resist the temptation of procyclical budgeting
- Fixed Income: The ECB contemplates further monetary policy easing
- New NBF Financial Stress Index does not suggest BoC rate cut
- Presentation to the Canadian Economic Club – January 9, 2019
- Fixed Income: Stock-bond correlations: Are we at an inflection point?
- Strategy update: Trade war = slower earnings growth
- Reality check: Are Canadian households perched over a sinkhole?
- Reality check: Canadian exposure to U.S. protectionism
- The Russian-Saudi oil standoff: Who will blink first?
- Storm clouds gathering on Germany’s horizon
- The political challenges of implementing environmental regulations
- U.S.-China phase one trade deal signed: Now comes the hard part
- Iran – U.S.: Has war been averted?
- The world’s looming water crisis
- Expect more financial decoupling between China and the United States
- USMCA ratification may be closer than you think
- Trump’s seemingly never-ending impeachment saga
- The story behind China’s capital controls
- Market View: Super Size Me
- Market View: A less-than-happy new year
- Market View: For Ottawa, it’s extraordinary times indeed
- Market View: COVID-19: Policy call and response
- Market View: What comes after an emergency cut?
- Market View: Falling out of love with Canada
- Market View: A closer look at the City of Toronto’s 2020 budget
- Market View: Bill Morneau: Canada’s $3 trillion man
- Market View: Are Freaky Fridays a thing?
- Market View: Mortgage hedging: What a difference a year makes