If you are interested in financial markets and the economy, you are in the right place! Whether you want to know the latest national and international developments or consult the most recent economic and financial forecasts, all you have to do is select the type of analysis of interest to you from our prize-winning Economics and Strategy Group.
The Weekly Economic Watch offers a commentary on developments in the economic environment as depicted by economic indicators released during the week and on indicators to be published in the upcoming week. Trends in a wide range of international, national and provincial economic and financial indicators are also presented.
Each month, the World economic outlook, in particular the North-American context, is reassessed. It also includes forecasts for the major economic and financial variables.
- U.S.: The slow death of brick and mortar stores
- Canada: Slowing economy dents business sentiment
- World: U.S. tariffs taking a bite out of China’s trade sector
- Canada: What’s restraining home builders?
- U.S.: Another leading indicator flashes red
- Canada: Business formation picks up
- Canada: Why are exporters losing market share in the U.S.?
- U.S.: A very good year for corporations
- Canada: Skills mismatch in the labour market
- U.S.: Wage inflation heats up again as full-time employment soars
An analysis on a current economic or financial topic.
- New NBF Financial Stress Index does not suggest BoC rate cut
- Presentation to the Canadian Economic Club – January 9, 2019
- Fixed Income: Stock-bond correlations: Are we at an inflection point?
- Strategy update: Trade war = slower earnings growth
- Reality check: Are Canadian households perched over a sinkhole?
- Reality check: Canadian exposure to U.S. protectionism
- The Metropolitan Economic Momentum Index (MEMI)
- President Obrador’s politics cool Mexico’s economy
- The behind the scenes struggle to choose the ECB's next leader
- What’s next in the seemingly never-ending Brexit Saga?
- Geopolitics are pushing oil prices higher
- China-U.S. trade deal or not, tensions will remain
- Are the wheels falling off the Trump presidency?
- What is driving the yellow vest revolt in France?
- Euro zone uncertainty spreads to its core
- China-U.S. rivalry equals a reconfigured global supply chain
- Venezuela’s collapse: How far will oil production fall?
- Foreign investment in Canadian securities continues
- 62-cent loonie? Don’t bet on it!
- Québec: Canada’s fiscal boy scout
- The 2019 federal budget in a dozen charts [& one political cartoon]
- Signs of delayed underperformance in provi credit?
- Record net portfolio investment in January
- 3 letters that just might scare Justin Trudeau more than SNC
- The Phillips curve is dead, long live the Phillips curve!
- CAD: Yield differentials increasingly play bigger driving role
- Spring ahead on the clock, fall back on growth