If you are interested in financial markets and the economy, you are in the right place! Whether you want to know the latest national and international developments or consult the most recent economic and financial forecasts, all you have to do is select the type of analysis of interest to you from our prize-winning Economics and Strategy Group.
This monitor provides daily updates on the evolution of COVID-19 in selected countries using data available as of 8:00am EDT. We also compare the transmission of COVID-19 with that of other pandemics and offer an update of our financial conditions index for Canada.
The policy update, for its part, offers an overview of the monetary and fiscal measures implemented by central banks and governments around the world to mitigate the economic effects of the virus.
The Weekly Economic Watch offers a commentary on developments in the economic environment as depicted by economic indicators released during the week and on indicators to be published in the upcoming week. Trends in a wide range of international, national and provincial economic and financial indicators are also presented.
Each month, the World economic outlook, in particular the North-American context, is reassessed. It also includes forecasts for the major economic and financial variables.
- Canada: Telework capacity cushions pandemic's blow to employment
- World: How is coronavirus altering trade and supply chains?
- U.S.: Non-store retailers benefit from lockdowns
- Canada: Will this be worst ever year for consumers?
- U.S.: Jobless rate does not give full picture of damage caused by pandemic
- Canada: Loonie should be weaker given current oil prices
- U.S.: Surging savings rate sinks first quarter consumption
- Canada: Fiscal position is good relative to the U.S.
- World: Emerging market currencies and reserves under pressure
- Canada: Why are scientists warning against early re-opening of economy?
An analysis on a current economic or financial topic.
- (2020/06/01) Canada’s official reserves: Time for a review
- (2020/05/27) Is Canadian residential real estate teetering on the brink?
- How brain gain sustains the Canadian housing market
- Quebec should resist the temptation of procyclical budgeting
- Fixed Income: The ECB contemplates further monetary policy easing
- New NBF Financial Stress Index does not suggest BoC rate cut
- Presentation to the Canadian Economic Club – January 9, 2019
- Fixed Income: Stock-bond correlations: Are we at an inflection point?
- Strategy update: Trade war = slower earnings growth
- Reality check: Are Canadian households perched over a sinkhole?
- Reality check: Canadian exposure to U.S. protectionism
- How COVID-19 is widening the Eurozone’s fault lines
- How COVID-19 is reshaping America’s landscape
- How COVID-19 is reshaping great power rivalry and supply chains
- The Russian-Saudi oil standoff: Who will blink first?
- Storm clouds gathering on Germany’s horizon
- The political challenges of implementing environmental regulations
- U.S.-China phase one trade deal signed: Now comes the hard part
- Iran – U.S.: Has war been averted?
- The world’s looming water crisis
- Expect more financial decoupling between China and the United States
- Market View: Parting with Poloz; making way for Macklem
- Market View: Fiscal revisionism on an unprecedented scale
- Market View: Canada’s QE curve consequences
- Market View: Evolution and adaptation in Canada’s T-bill market
- Market View: Setting the record straight (on municipal finances)
- Market View: June 1st/2nd… the mother of all seasonals in Canada
- Market View: What a short strange trip it's been (in provi land)
- Market View: Putting Canada’s shifting fiscal fortunes in perspective
- Market View: Clean up on aisles 3, 6 and 12: The great T-bill spill
- Market View: What liquidity crisis?