Foreign currency accounts in Euro, U.S. dollars, renminbi (yuan) and 13 other currencies
- Opening an account is easy—no minimum balance required.
- Monitor your account balance and transactions whenever you want, wherever you are, through our online banking solutions.
- Receive funds and make payments and transfers between your CAD or USD account and your foreign currency account at any time. Amounts are automatically converted into the currency of the receiving account.4
- Protect your earnings with a fixed conversion rate5 through a forward exchange contract.
- Secure your transactions: our online banking solutions have added security through a SecurID® key.
- Receive a monthly account statement.
- Monthly management fees apply to foreign currency accounts6.
- Cash deposits and withdrawals are not permitted and cheques cannot be issued on foreign currency accounts.
Find out more
1 Foreign currency deposits are covered by the Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation (CDIC). Find out more about the coverage offered by CDIC.
2 Certain browser versions are needed to access National Bank's website and online banking services.
Please visit nbc.ca/en/support.
3 Payments and accounts in CNY (Chinese yuan renminbi) are subject to certain restrictions. For more information, contact the Account Manager or International Trade Managers in your area.
4 Currency conversion will be carried out according to National Bank's usual practices.
The applicable exchange rate will be the rate in effect when the transaction is processed.
5 Certain conditions apply. For more information, consult one of our advisors.
6 Account handling fees of $35 per month apply to foreign currency accounts.
Fees are subject to change. For more information on our fees, consult our Fee Guide – Banking Services for Businesses.