My Business Model
Welcome to the world
of innovative entrepreneurs
The Business Model Canvas can help you turn your business ideas into reality.
Whether you are thinking of starting up a business, growing or repositioning your current business, this simple approach will assist you in creating innovative business models and building a cutting-edge business.
Download the canvas and complete your business model
The Business Model Canvas is an essential tool that will accompany you throughout your strategic planning process. It is based on the nine building blocks of My Business ModelTM.
Use the canvas to jot down your innovative ideas, lead brainstorming sessions and pitch your results on a single page once you have designed a business model. It will help you show the full value of your strategic planning.
Print a copy of the canvas or download it to your tablet or computer, then watch the tutorials.
Watch the videos
Energize your business model
We encourage you to share your business model canvas with your National Bank account manager.
If you do not have an account manager or if you are not a National Bank client, simply contact one of our National Bank Business Central advisors.
Talk to our National Bank Business Central advisors to access a full range of banking solutions and advice tailored to your business.
Whatever your needs, our specialists have the expertise to help you power your ideas and grow your business.
Learn more about My Business Model
My Business Model is the product of a collaboration between National Bank and the Institute for entrepreneurship National Bank - HEC Montreal.
4 good reasons to start using this approach
Allows you to adopt a shared language among your team
Build a business model with your team members. This will help you arrive at a shared understanding of your business's threats and opportunities and come up with new strategic options.
Effective at all stages of your business
Whether your company is an SME or a multinational, a start-up or a company that has been in business for 20 years, this tool is right for you! The My Business Model approach is relevant for all businesses that want to improve their business model.
Provides a comprehensive vision of your business
The nine building blocks of the business model canvas are designed to cover every field of activity in which your business is involved. Link your activities, design innovative processes, optimize your expenses and generate new revenue streams.
Makes it easy to show and communicate your business model
Effectively present your ideas on a single page to get your business partners' support and boost your credibility.
Ask the right questions
This section sets out all of the key questions in the tutorials and on the back of the Business Model Canvas.
- What needs/problems do you address?
- What value do you generate?
- What are you actually giving your clients?
- What are the features of your product/service?
- What are the advantages of your offering?
- Who do you create value for?
- Who are your target clients or target client segments?
- Who are your biggest clients?
- What needs must they satisfy?
- What problems must they solve?
- What is their profile?
- How do you reach out to your clients?
- Through what channels do you distribute your products or services?
- Through what channels do you communicate with your clients?
- How would you describe your relationship with your clients?
- What type of relationship do your clients seek?
- What do you need to have in order to deliver on your value proposition?
- What resources are essential?
- What activities are key to delivering on your value proposition?
- Who are your most important partners and suppliers?
- Which partners help you carry out activities that you do not perform in-house?
- Which partners provide you with the resources you don’t have in-house?
- Where do your revenues come from?
- How do your clients pay? How do they prefer to pay?
- What are your most profitable products or services?
- What is the cost of your key activities and key resources? (fixed and variable)
- What are the costliest aspects of your business model?
Consult the links below to enhance your business plan and improve your business projects.
- Industry Canada: Information regarding various industries and competition in the Canadian market
- Canada Business Network: Data on the Canadian economy, the various industry sectors and demographic data
- Institut de la statistique du Québec: Information on the Quebec market (sector analyses, publications, reports)
- Statistics Canada: Statistics for analyzing the Canadian market
- CEFRIO: Information regarding various aspects of digital technology
About the Institute for entrepreneurship National Bank – HEC Montreal
The Institute for entrepreneurship National Bank - HEC Montreal is dedicated to promoting and supporting business creation and entrepreneurial takeovers. It helps develop innovative entrepreneurs via educational activities and training, carrying out and communicating cutting-edge research and providing coaching and networking opportunities. It also offers activities intended to identify, assess and present the issues faced by Quebec business creators and SME owners. The Institute has four distinct roles:
- An observatory of Quebec entrepreneurial trends and best practices
- An idea accelerator for innovative businesses
- A centre for knowledge transfer and customized training
- A networking and event space
To learn more about the Institute's activities, visit iebn.hec.ca
Note : The website is available in French only.