Help centre

What happens to my RESP if my child doesn’t continue studying?

You have two options:

  • You can name a new beneficiary if it’s an individual RESP. If it's a family RESP, other children who are beneficiaries of the plan can use the contributions.
  • You can close the RESP and grants will have to be repaid to the government. But your contributions and the income generated in the RESP will return to you. You can transfer these funds to an RRSP to continue saving tax-free.

Related questions

Picto of two text bubbles

Chat with our virtual assistant

Ask a question for immediate answers to your questions, available 24/7