Help Centre

What happens to my mortgage if I separate from or divorce my spouse?

In the event of separation or divorce, 3 options are available:

  1. Sell the house and share the equity earned.
  2. One partner buys the shares of the other and keeps the property*.
  3. One partner assumes the mortgage (meaning one partner takes charge of the whole mortgage) and assigns the other free of charge of his or her shares.

Legal disclaimers

*Subject to approval by National Bank.

Related questions

Dessin de bulles de conversation

Chat with our virtual assistant 

Ask a question for immediate answers to your questions, available 24/7